Quantcast
Latest Stories

Australia offers P307M in aid for ‘Pablo’ victims

By

AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – Australia on Tuesday announced that it has increased its assistance to P307 million in response to the increasing humanitarian needs of the victims of Typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha), the worst storm to hit the Philippines this year.

The announcement was made by Australian Embassy Charge d’ Affaires Andrew Byrne during a meeting with World Food Programme (WFP) officials at the WFP warehouse in Taguig City.

“This assistance reflects the Australian people’s commitment to helping our friends in times of need,” Byrne was quoted as saying in a statement by the Australian Embassy in Manila.

“I hope Australia’s humanitarian assistance can help some of the worst-affected families to rebuild their lives,” Byrne added.

The embassy noted that of the P307 million, P84 million were provided for pre-positioned emergency, food, and health supplies through the Philippine Red Cross (PRC), World Food Programme (WFP), and United Nations Population Fund;

P126 million were provided for response to the UN appeal, including rice stocks through the WFP, emergency shelters through Habitat International, livelihood support through the International Labour Organization (ILO),  and health supplies through the UN Population Fund;

P84 million were provided for access to clean and safe water for 25,000 people, emergency shelter for 3,500 vulnerable families, and setting up of safe, child-friendly spaces for 3,000 children through Oxfam Australia, Save the Children Australia and Caritas Australia; P12.6 million (A$300,000) were provided to non-government organisations working in Mindanao to assist specific emergency relief need of needs of persons with disabilities.

Bryne, in his statement, also noted how the number of necessities for people affected by the typhoon remained “staggering,” and how nutrition and health risks remained “alarmingly increasing especially among the most vulnerable populations including children, women, elderly and disabled.”

“The Australian Government understands that humanitarian assistance is not enough. Australia’s aid program also targets P462 million of its annual aid program budget of P5.5 billion on reducing disaster risk and enhancing disaster preparedness across the country,” Byrne said.

Latest reports had noted that the death toll from the Typhoon, which battered Visayas and Mindanao in early December, rose to 1,046, while 841 remained missing.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) had also said that damages from the onslaught of the typhoon was pegged at P24 billion,  and that P16 billion were damages from agriculture.

Meanwhile, in a press statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) noted that the Philippines had so far received P 665,832,787.39 in financial assistance from the international community, aid agencies, various groups and individuals, and that material donations continued to arrive.

“World leaders have expressed their solidarity with the Filipino people for the suffering being endured by our kababayans down South during, what is supposed to be, a festive season in the country,” the DFA said in a statement.

“Numerous Filipino community organizations worldwide also eagerly responded to the pleas for help of their countrymen,” it added.

Among the countries and organizations that had given their donations in cash assistance, in relief goods, in supplies, and in pledges are the following: Australia, Asean-HA, Canada, China, European Union, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Unicef, United Kingdom, United States, and the World Food Programme.

It said that the donations received by the department and Philippine diplomatic and consular missions abroad were forwarded to various government agencies and private charitable institutions to be spent or used in their respective relief efforts across the affected areas.

It added that further contributions to the relief and reconstruction efforts may be sent directly either to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), or the Philippine Red Cross.

Latest reports had noted that the death toll from the Typhoon, which battered Visayas and Mindanao in early December, rose to 1,046, while 841 remained missing.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) had also said that damages from the onslaught of the typhoon was pegged at P24 billion, and that P16 billion were damages from agriculture.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Australia , Features , Global Nation , Philippine calamities , Typhoon Pablo

  • disqusted0fu

    thanks to Australia that they havent forgotten the tragedy of typhoon Pablo yet and continues to help, while the Philippine government have already moved on putting all their attention to the RH bill, that was certified urgent by president Aquino

  • Bring back Phils Glory. Unite.

    Thank you Australia!

  • Chameleon08

    Disaster victims in Cateel are killing each other because of the shortage of relief goods. Where is the money donated by the foreign countries? The Provincial Government must be transparent on where they are putting the amount with Malacanang monitoring and informing the people, not only the victims. Anti-corruption? Is it felt by the people? is it felt by the typhoon victims?



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • DOH asks co-passengers of OFW carrier to test for MERS-CoV
  • ‘Shouldn’t we move?’ Ferry evacuation under scrutiny
  • 5.5-magnitude quake hits Sultan Kudarat
  • Passengers denied chance to escape sinking South Korea ferry
  • Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
  • Sports

  • PH youth boxers off to stumbling start in AIBA World tilt
  • Durant has 42, Thunder beat Pistons 112-111
  • Walker leads Bobcats over Bulls in OT, 91-86
  • Man City slips further out of title contention
  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Lifestyle

  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • Entertainment

  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • Business

  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • Technology

  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Marketplace