No Filipino casualties in Japan’s tunnel collapse
More News from Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Monday that there were no reports of Filipino casualties in the deadly collapse of a busy tunnel in Japan on Saturday.
DFA spokesman Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez said the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo has touched base with Japanese authorities involved in rescue efforts at the Sasago tunnel, a busy passage some 80 kms away from Tokyo.
“Our Embassy in Tokyo is coordinating with the Japanese authorities there, and so far, no reports of Filipino casualties,” Hernandez said in a text message.
As of Monday, reports from the ground showed that nine people were killed in the tunnel collapse as police investigated what caused the structure to cave in.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94