SAN JOSÉ, California – The Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS) is proud to announce “Filipino Americans: Making History for 425 Years” as the theme for this October’s Filipino American History Month commemorations across the nation. The month of October is significant as the first recorded presence of Filipinos in the continental United States occurred on October 18, 1587, when natives identified as “Luzones Indios” came ashore from a Spanish galleon at what is now Morro Bay, CA.
In November of 2009, both the United States House of Representatives and Senate official passed laws – House Resolution 780 and Senate Resolution 298, respectively, officially recognizing October as Filipino American History Month. “Much history-rich, enlightening, inspirational and at times sad-in four centuries in America has made the Filipino American experience to be a unique and instinctive odyssey deserving to be shared with all Americans and others of goodwill,” states Dr. Fred Cordova, who along with his wife Dorothy founded FANHS and first introduced October as Filipino American history Month in 1992.
Throughout the nation, the twenty-nine FANHS Chapters, colleges and universities, museums, and other community groups, will commemorate October with a number of activities and events. Here are the SF Bay Area FANHS events:
* October 12th–14th will feature the SF Filipino American Jazz Festival to be held at the venerable Yoshi’s Jazz Clubs in Oakland (12th & 13th) and San Francisco (14th). This year’s featured performers will be Joe Bataan, the Afro-Filipino King of Latin Soul, Archie Shepp, Jo Canion and Mon David http://www.sfpinoyjazzfest.com
* October 13th is Filipino American History Day at History San José from 11am to 5pm in San José. This family day celebrates Filipino American History Month, and features culturally significant music, dancing, performances, Filipino food, and children’s crafts and activities. http://historysanjose.org/wp/events/filipino-day
* October 13th is the 1st Annual FANHS of Alameda Golf Tournament at Alameda’s Chuck Corisa Golf Complex in Alameda #1 Clubhouse Memorial Road in Alameda. Event begins at 7am. To sign up: Bob Balandra firstname.lastname@example.org
* October 13th is the Fil Am History Celebration at Harbor Bay Isle Community Center, 3195 Mecartney Road, Alameda. Event begins at 10am. For info: Bob Balandra at email@example.com or ACC.FilAmHistory@gmail.com
* October 20th is the Filipino American History Month Trivia Bee which will be held at the Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum in Vallejo. http://bit.ly/2012triviabee. Event begins at 6pm.
* October 21st is Filipino American History Day with a celebration of food, film, music and raffle prizes at the Filipino Community Center, 3361 Fulton Rd., Fulton, CA. http://bit.ly/fbfanhssonoma for details.
* October 28th is FANHS Day on Angel Island where you can learn about the Filipinos who passed through the Angel Island Immigration Station on their way to America starting at 11am. http://bit.ly/fanhsday2012
About the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS)
Founded in 1982, the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS) is a national organization with 29 chapters throughout the United States. The Society’s mission is to promote, preserve and document the contributions of Filipino Americans to the United States and to provide education on the significance of the Filipino American experience. www.fanhs-national.org