Latest Stories

Cohabiting partners are also eligible for US visas


Spouses of nonimmigrant visa holders are usually granted derivative status and visas to be with their spouses abroad. A legal relationship must ordinarily be established to be eligible for such a visa. But for those who have been living together without the benefit of marriage, there is still an existing regulation that will allow them to be together during a temporary trip abroad.

Ruel and Maria have been living together for 10 years. They are not married but they have 2 children. For the past seven years, Ruel has been working as a Product Manager for a manufacturing company that is a subsidiary of a large multinational US-based company.

Recently, he was promoted to manage a small team in the US.  He would like to bring Maria and their two children with him.

The US company filed a petition for Ruel as an intracompany manager. Ruel applied for his visa at the US Embassy in Manila. His two minor children were allowed to accompany him. But what about Maria?

Common law spouses

For those living together without the benefit of marriage and who can document their lengthy relationship, the B2 classification could be an appropriate visa for Maria.  Note that this rule applies only to those who are traveling as temporary workers, investors, students and diplomats posted in the US.

To qualify for a B2 nonimmigrant visa as a domestic partner, the applicant must still prove the temporary nature of the activity in the United States. For instance, in the case of Ruel, he should show that they will return to Manila after a brief stay abroad.

Usually, nonimmigrant workers or students are granted more than a year’s stay. For the cohabiting partner, he or she will usually be granted an initial one year under the B2 visa and then the partner  can apply for extensions in increments of six months or until such time that her partner returns to the Philippines after accomplishing the intended activity.

Same sex partners, too

Cohabiting partners include both those of the opposite sex as well as same sex partners. This was the interpretation made more than a decade ago by then former Secretary of State Colin

Powell in his July 1, 2001. Referring to the cohabiting partners’ visa, he emphasized long-term relationships—and this could be true for both opposite and same sex partners.

Those who are granted visas to accompany their partners must prove that the relationship is genuine and has existed for a long time. There should be proof of the viability of the relationship such as statements of joint finances, lease or deed of sale of their home, partnership agreements, if available, etc.

Since the visa that will be made available is the B2 visa, the cohabiting partner must still show that he or she has strong ties to the Philippines. This means that the applicant should show that he or she intends to return to the Philippines after the brief stay abroad. A long-term relationship will be a critical factor.

If, however, the principal applicant still has an existing relationship with a legal spouse but maintains a live-in partner, the latter may not be eligible for the B2 visa. Just like an applicant for a visitor’s visa, the standards for eligibility of a domestic partner are high.

(Tancinco may be reached at law@tancinco.com or at 721 1963 or 887 7177)

Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Cohabiting Partner , marriage , Migration , relationship , US visa

  • Hfxwst

    “. . . without the benefit of marriage”?  What exactly is the benefit of marriage?  Very odd choice of words.

    FYI – increasingly,  Filipinos are choosing not to marry, as this country does not have even a 19th century divorce law.  It simplifies potential separation if the relationship ends.  Indeed,  the country is changing faster than the government is managing appropriate changes to family law.  This is particularly true for Filipinos who are not Catholic, or who have left the Catholic church, or who are Catholic in name only but have to suffer and endure a clear bias toward catholic religious law.  Time the laws were purged of religious bias so that it may be applicable to everyone.

Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
  1. Filipinos second-shortest in Southeast Asia
  2. Afghan hospital guard kills 3 US doctors, including Fil-Am pediatrician
  3. HK victims to get P115M; traders raised money
  4. Career diplomat is new PH consul general in Los Angeles
  5. Senator hopes PH will also get same vow
  6. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  7. US4GG: Aquino should ask Obama for TPS approval, drone technology
  8. Obama to visit Filipino soldiers in Fort Bonifacio
  9. Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  10. Abandoned in Malta,15 PH seamen return
  1. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  2. Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  3. Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  4. Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  5. 85% of Filipinos love US – survey
  6. 10 US presidents who visited the PH (and what they said)
  7. WHO warns vs spread of MERS-Cov, urges vigilance in taking precautions
  8. 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  9. 150 Filipino teachers in Maryland to lose jobs, visas
  10. Japan mulls no visa rule for Filipinos
  1. US to China: We will protect Philippines
  2. Japan mulls no visa rule for Filipinos
  3. DFA grants visa-free privilege to 7 countries
  4. China warned: Don’t try to tow away BRP Sierra Madre
  5. Back home in Manila, and feeling out of place
  6. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  7. Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  8. China: PH tarnishing Beijing’s international image
  9. What’s inside BRP Sierra Madre?
  10. Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted


  • Aquino to lead Air Force turnover rites
  • Security in place for Obama as police hope for ‘peaceful’ visit
  • Retired SC justice Lorenzo Relova; 98
  • Ligots fight 2nd forfeiture case
  • PH will be partly cloudy in afternoon, evening—Pagasa
  • Sports

  • Sharapova advances to Stuttgart quarterfinals
  • Galedo caps ride of redemption
  • Beermen, Express dispute second semis slot today
  • Lady Agilas upset Lady Bulldogs in four sets
  • NLEX roars to 7th D-League win
  • Lifestyle

  • ‘Recovered’ Banksy works on display ahead of sale
  • Marinduque: Visiting the ‘palm of the ocean’
  • First at Vatican in 60 years
  • How Jing Monis Salon gave Krissy the pixie
  • Want to be a supermodel? Work on your inner beauty, says Joey Espino
  • Entertainment

  • Paul McCartney to play at Candlestick concert
  • Kristoffer Martin: from thug to gay teen
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Cris Villonco on play adapted from different medium
  • Business

  • PAL hailed for ban on shark fin cargo
  • BSP to change tint of P100 bill
  • Nielsen sees car buying boom in the Philippines
  • How author of best-seller exposed ‘one percent’ economic elite
  • Bangko Sentral readies new bank lending rules
  • Technology

  • Cloud strength helps Microsoft earnings top Street
  • Vatican announces hashtag for April 27 canonizations
  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • Opinion

  • Editorial Cartoon, April 25, 2014
  • No deal, Janet
  • Like making Al Capone a witness vs his gang
  • MERS-CoV and mothers
  • A graduation story
  • Global Nation

  • Only 4 Etihad passengers not accounted for
  • Abandoned in Malta,15 PH seamen return
  • Senator hopes PH will also get same vow
  • HK victims to get P115M; traders raised money
  • Afghan hospital guard kills 3 US doctors, including Fil-Am pediatrician
  • Marketplace