PH defense in sea row now in people’s hands–Carpio | Inquirer Global Nation
Sunday, August 19, 2018
Close  
  • share this

PH defense in sea row now in people’s hands–Carpio

By: - Reporter / @MRamosINQ
/ 07:17 AM April 21, 2018

Every Juan and Juana dela Cruz will now have to join the fight in asserting the country’s sovereignty in the West Philippine Sea through “people-to-people conversation” with the international community, especially the Chinese, according to Supreme Court acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio.

“Unfortunately, after the [Permanent Court of Arbitration] ruling came out in favor of the Philippines, President Duterte decided to put aside the ruling in order to secure loans and investments from China,” Carpio said on Friday in an address to graduating law students in Cebu City.

 Generation who ‘slept’

ADVERTISEMENT

“We, the Filipino people, must take the defense of the West Philippine Sea into our own hands,” Carpio said at the University of San Carlos. “Let it not be said by future generations of Filipinos that today’s generation of Filipinos slept while China seized the West Philippine Sea.”

The senior magistrate said Manila should take action against Beijing’s continued attempt to seize 80 percent of Manila’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the West Philippine Sea, a portion in the vast South China Sea, which Beijing had been claiming wholly.

He made the remarks a few days after the Inquirer reported that two Chinese military cargo planes had landed on China’s artificial island in Panganiban Reef in the Spratlys, an area located well within the Philippines’ 370-kilometer EEZ.

Landmark ruling

Carpio was part of the legal team that secured for the Philippines the landmark ruling of the UN-backed arbitral court in The Hague that voided China’s “nine-dash line” claim.

“If we lose this huge maritime area, we lose it forever. This generation, and future generations of Filipinos, will never be able to recover this vast area with all its rich natural resources,” he said.

But he maintained that an armed confrontation against China would never be an option.

Instead, Carpio proposed a “historic people-to-people conversation” with the Chinese people and citizens of other UN member-states “through social media, blogs, conferences, journals, books and newspapers.’’

ADVERTISEMENT

Reached for comment, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Mr. Duterte was committed to protect the West Philippine Sea. “No chance we will ever lose it because [he] will not allow it,” he stressed. —WITH A REPORT FROM LEILA B. SALAVERRIA

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Carpio, China, sea dispute, West PH Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

The entrepreneur in Christine Bersola-Babao

August 19, 2018 03:44 PM

entertainment

Anthony Bourdain big-screen documentary in the works

August 19, 2018 03:27 PM

newsinfo

Mindanao grid intact after 5.0 magnitude quake

August 19, 2018 03:15 PM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.