OFW left for dead in desert back home
MANILA, Philippines—A 33-year-old overseas Filipino worker who survived a violent attack in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, is now back in Manila.
Earlier news reports said the OFW, identified only as Max, had been raped and left for dead, naked, in the middle of the desert.
Max, who was working as a helper in an ice cream store, was attacked by a group of five young Saudis on the afternoon of May 16 while he was walking down a street.
He passed out and lost consciousness after he was hit with a hard object in the head.
“My only mistake was I went out walking alone,” Max, who arrived last Friday, recounted during a visit with Vice President Jejomar Binay, also the presidential adviser on overseas workers affairs, and Department of Foreign Affairs officials on Saturday.
The OFW, who is from Bukidnon, had been working in Riyadh since 2011.
With a severe head injury, Max was in a coma in a hospital for almost two months. He woke up remembering little of what happened.
Max, however, denied reports that he was gang-raped.
Asked if he would still work overseas, Max said “No.” He will just look for work in his hometown, he said, wearing a mask covering half of his face when he met with Binay and DFA officials at the Coconut Palace on Saturday.
“I am overwhelmed with gratitude for your help. I am happy just coming home alive,” Max said in Filipino.
The government paid for all of his medical expenses amounting to $26,000.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.